Before we discuss about the upgrading tools for car remapping, don’t you feel that we should know about the car remapping, its benefits and process to apply on your vehicle?
What is car remapping?
Car remapping can be defined as the process of adjusting settings of engine control unit (ECU) chip that is installed in your car. The reason due to which car owners opt for the remapping is due to standardization of car’s original settings determined by the car manufacturers. Because driving standards in all the countries are not same and therefore keeping those standards in concern the parameters of ECU are determined for each countries.
You would have also noticed that whenever any car is launched in the international market different types of engine configurations are determined for different regions. This is mainly because the driving standards applicable in one country and not feasible in another country. That means we can say that in real terms no ECU is adjusted to perform according to fullest of its efficiency.
Going through the problem, the car which you used to drive, might be generating high power and fuel efficient performance in comparison of the original car manufactured by company. As an impact of this to get rid of this problem the best way is to remap the engine of car according to actual standards of the engine or according to your requirement.
Apart from above mentioned reason of car remapping there is one more reason when you might have to get engine remapping of your car. For instance if you replaced or upgraded your existing exhaust system of your car, then also it becomes imperative for you to remap the engine control unit of your car in accordance to settings of upgraded exhaust system.
Major benefits of car remapping:
- Increase in power and torque generation efficiency;
- Increase in fuel efficiency;
- Improved acceleration and braking system, offering you smooth handling of the car;
- Appropriate control over the car as the result of upgrading braking system;
- Comfortable and relaxed travel due to improved suspension system;
- Increase in aestheticism of your car through new set of alloy wheels.
Upgrading tools for car remapping:
Well, after understanding the concept of car remapping and the benefits associated with it, let us now focus on the upgrading tools used for car remapping.
- Wideband AFR Meter: Air fuel ratio meter (AFR) is one of the complicated and highly required upgrading tools for car remapping. The main objective of this tool is to determine that the fuel is reaching to the engine in smooth way along with the proper flow of air. It would be interested to know in the early days these the cost of meter was quite costly, but in current scenario with increasing trend of car remapping high quality of air fuel ratio meters are being offered various renowned manufacturers.
2. Dynamometers: Where use of air fuel ratio is little difficult, tuning the dynamometer is undoubtedly the simplest methods of car remapping. It is not only safe for the engine but also for the person tuning the car. The main objective of tuning the dynamometer is to determine the standard parameters of power generation efficiency of the car and abort the functionality of the car if it detects that the car is being driven beyond those parameters. Along with this the dynamometer is also protective and not only protects from any type of physical damage to the person but also protects him from any type of legal action determined for upgrading the performance of the engine through remapping.
3. Timing light: While talking about the cost effective upgrading tools for car remapping it would be important to mention the name of timing light. If you are remapping your car for the first time then it is one of the highly preferred tools for remapping. The tool helps in determining the timing of the ignition system and helps us in getting assured that number of ignition table and engine are same. To generate the light the tool makes use of an inductive clamp mounted across the ignition lead and as soon as spark emerges in an engine it generates the flash to let us know the number received by the engine and ignition system.